Seal Target Geronimo comes out in an extensively expanded paperback edition, Tuesday, September 11, 2012. Even if you have the hardcover version, this one is worth a buy. Three new chapters and two more greatly expanded ones cover new and detailed information, much of it from previously classified sources and resulting from author Chuck Pfarrer’s extensive research in the year since the raid. Information came from newly declassified documents captured in the raid and processed by the Counter Terrorism Center at West Point. Key to the new chapters was the independent investigation conducted by Pakistani Brigadeer General (Ret) Shukat Qadir, who interviewed military and ISI personnel as well as debriefing eyewitness and undertaking a guided tour of the bin Laden residence hours after the raid.
The new material includes detailed information on:
- Bin Laden’s exact locations for the ten years he was on the run in Pakistan and the locations and travel patterns of Bin Laden’s wives and children during the same period.
- The locations of Ayman Zawahiri and Mullah Omar.
- An analysis of declassified papers taken by ST6 from Abbottabad
- Al Qaeda’s planned attack on the Pakistani nuclear weapons facility at Kahuta
- Al Qaeda’s plan to use poison gas in Yemen (from a letter dated six days before OBL’s death)
- Information taken from an independent Pakistani investigation of the raid to include previously unknown details of CIA’s pre-mission reconnaissance
- The code name of Dr. Shekel Afridi’s CIA controller and details about the “Hepatitis Screening Program” that eventually located Bin Laden
- New details about Al Qaeda’s kidnapping of an Iranian diplomat to trade for Khairee bin Laden (Wife #1) who was being held in Tehran and details of Bin Laden’s detailed planning for the transfer of his wife after the prisoner exchange with the Iranians.
- New details on CIA’s phone call to the compound two nights before the raid
- Information obtained during Pakistan’s nearly year long interrogation of Bin Laden’s surviving wives and children
- Information from the Pakistani first responders who entered the compound only minutes after the helicopters left.
- Connecting the dots on who the US closed in after the arrival of Khairee bin Laden, as well as the capture of Bali Bomber Umer Patik in Abbottabad a mere four months prior to the raid
- Eye witness testimony about the raid from Osama Bin Laden’s widows and children, as well as Pakistani neighbors who saw the entire raid.
- Confirmation from eye witnesses who saw the helicopter crash, confirming it happened in the middle of the operation and not at the beginning.
- Details about Pakistani fighters who were scrambled and nearly shot down the US helicopters as they retreated.
- More details about the “special access” granted to filmmaker Kathryn Bigelow and writer Mark Boal who are completing a film about the hunt for Bin Laden. This information is confirmed by Freedom of Information Act requests that show DoD and White House emails confirming that the two SONY Studios filmmakers were give the names of ST6 operators unlawfully.
And there is much more, including information that following the November 2011 “Border Incident” in which US Special Operations Forces killed 20 Pakistani soldiers, Pakistan moved surface to air missiles to the Afghan Border. The source for this information was Pakistani and all of it has been cross-referenced.
It’s fascinating stuff and offers even more insight into what happened before the raid, during the raid and as a result of the raid. Pre-order your paperback or e-book version today.